Contractors and builders were encouraged to submit bids at Dr. Bliss’ Drug Store in 1875 for the new Universalist Church. The cornerstone was laid in 1875 on land deeded to the congregation by F.J. Upton at the corner of Park (Third) Avenue and Sixth Street SE. A second story was added in 1878.
Dr. Joseph Fort Newton was the little church’s pastor from 1908 to 1917. He went from there to the City Temple of London. During his pastorate the church came to be called the Liberal Christian Church.
In 1920, it took the name Peoples Church and in 1926, the congregation affiliated with the American Unitarian Association.
(Information taken from The Gazette archives)